Tuesday, January 1, 2019

December 2018 Weight Maintenance Check-in - I've done nothing but gain weight this year- still in range tho!

***  photos****  Progress photos coming soon as I can get some good angles

In the meantime, scroll to the last half of the post for my  favorite photos and weight graphs from Dec 2018

I'd rather blog without the standard progress photos than to not blog.

Second hand clothes shopping and new hair cut, Dec 2018, Double Take, Carlsbad, CA




















Coffee and baby back ribs. Yes, I had a salad earlier. Meat off the bone for a 2018 WIN!!



















Honestly #1: I'm out having fun with my family, doing house projects, hobbies, and of course, batch cooking low carb foods. I'v just been enjoying myself too much to bother to blog.

PS- I've got my Keto and my Food Addiction resource pages ready to post, in a single "Resource" page- to replace my outdated resource tab on this blog. You'll see those pages go up in the first half of Jan 2019.

Honestly #2Look, lets' be honest, all I did was gain weight this year. About 5-7 pounds
 Ha! True. And I value the truth. I'll update my social media weight maintained to 65 pounds until I get back to 68-70. And I do believe that I will cycle back to <120 pounds. Fairly sure.

It's also my own truth:  I'm still maintaining inside my maintenance range. This is what my weight maintenance looks like. 





















Looking at my 7-8 years of data and food sober living. The cyclic nature of my weight gain and loss within the bracket of weight maintenance is probably my true normal.

What's working for me now 2018 review, in general

0. I don't lose my cool when I gain in maintenance, I hop on the scale daily.
1. I do look for root causes and take action within my Paleo, Modified AIP, LCHF, Keto protocol
2. I do adopt what work and assess risk at each major decision point.
3. If 2018 has taught me any thing is that my high risk for obesity is still at play
4. I must, must, must track my food
5. I must, must must fast after 12 noon to and broth is okay up to about 2-3pm
6. I can have sparkling water and electrolyte powder after 3pm
7. I will get higher cholesterol when I fast, with low hs-CRP, great glucose, HA1c, skinny jeans, no Coronary Calcium, great CIMT values.
8. I will likely have lower risks on my high risk genetic SNPs (Type 2 Diabetes , obesity, unnamed disease risk, auto-immune disease, obesity related cancer associations- I hope I'm far enough past it)
9. I have super good hot/cold tolerance and only allergies due to high winds in So. Cal (no colds like I thought!)
10. I'm leaning into empty nest in a good way so far.

What didn't work for me in the past

0. If I gained I avoided the scale because I didn't want to be honest with myself
1. I ate everything in moderation because WW said so, this fueled my food addiction & binge eating
2. I did not consider risks like Type 2 diabetes and obesity associated cancers
3. I did not understand how much my genetic risk of  obesity wants to come back
4. I did not track my binges and crappy food, except at WW where I ate high carb, low fat.
5. I ate from 6am-10pm, daily
6. I ate my binge foods from 6am-10pm daily
7. I had perfect lipid profiles with terrible joint pain, 6.8 hs-CRP, and metabolic syndrome markers.
8. I did not consider my genetic obesity and type 2 diabetes risks
9. I was "cold" all of the time. ALL of the time, sleepy, immobile
10 I ate to soothe life changes- to numb out, to not feel my feelings. It didn't work.

Weight graphs Dec 2018






Out living life and having fun. And walking, lots of walking at the beach.
Moonlight Beach, Encinitas, CA Dec 2018

Dave's Rock Garden, Moonlight Beach 2018

Extreme Tides, Dec 2018 Carlsbad Tide Pools

Nice Carlsbad Sunets

Intagram polls

The outcome, no green flash

Thought full time with family

Reality of life for me

Praying to my higher power for food sober living in 2019




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing an update, Karen. I appreciate your honesty about your weight--so many are not honest. In 2018, I started to fast in March and I eat lunch and dinner most days (every five to seven days, I do a 22-24 hour fast, but I will not fast longer than this because I don't think it's all that good for me). I dropped all grains (haven't had any since March despite some serious stress in my life regarding my health), I dropped all sugar except berries, apples, and dark chocolate, and I dropped all dairy. I managed to lose 17 pounds despite my stress and starting menopause (I learned from you that cheating is not an option now). I'm weighing 127 pounds now, and I would like to lose five to seven more, and then I'll reassess. I'm hoping 2019 is better than 2018 and 2017, but that remains to be seen.

    Happy New Year, and I'm looking forward to your resource page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali, yeah, weight gain after weight loss is real. It's important to be honest, address root causes and take action. And have a lot of patience. Weight maintenance is more tricky than weight loss ever was. Glad you are optimizing your food template. Food matters, a lot with disease management. Menopause requires this, too! Great work.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your progress. I look forward to your posts and can relate to much of what you have to say about what it takes to maintain your weight loss. How much of a gain (and for how long} would cause you to take corrective action toward lowering your weight? I chuckled (with some embarrassment) at, "If I gained I avoided the scale because I didn't want to be honest with myself" - yeah it does not work for me either. I will have to give up that practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown. I stay between 113 and 126 or so. I try to take action as soon as possible, but with early time restricted eating and the metabolic hormones and who knows what else (sleep, stress), it could be weeks or months to see changes near my goal weight. Insurance is going to start charging me a crap ton o'money if I'm above 24 BMI. So I take regain very seriously. Plus at 5'1" I feel like crap, too. Hope you start a habit that keeps you honest with the scale. Onward!!!

      Delete