Sunday, September 23, 2018

Early Time restricted eating super important to me in long term weight maintenance- quick update Fall 2018

I'm on day 7 of very purposeful 18:6 or 16:8 early time restricted eating. As I've discovered, my early time restricted eating plays a huge role in my long term weight maintenance.

I had a work insurance blood draw where I wanted to go 4 days or so doing 12:12 to trick out my cholesterol levels. I did, but it doesn't help me feel well or help me maintain weight.

It will take 1 month to lose between 1-3 pounds, since weight loss within my goal range is slow going.  Habit and repeating habits takes a lot of effort, day in day out. No room for slippery slope food addiction thinking. It's a lot of work. Huge effort for very little scale movement.

THIS IS my WEIGHT MAINTENANCE, long term. For me, anyway.

The results are worth it though. Long term maintenance. Clothes that fit. Rarely sick, 21+ years of only having one auto immune disease and not more (Hashimoto's in 1997).  It's like Weight Maintenance University or Grad School. LOL.

Dr. Satchin Panda talks a lot of circadian rhythms including gut microbiome curcadian rhythms, Dr. Sylvia (Secret Life of Fat) and Dr. Georgia Ede  (podcast with Daisy at Ketogenic Woman)  All of these sources cop to different variables of weight managment.

Here is proof of maintenance, even with a 7 pound gain, I expect to maintain this weight OR reverse it a few pounds anyway. I'm not sure I'll get back to the summer of 2017 weights or not. I'm well, that's all that matters.  I've got to find a new photographer, photos coming soon.

7+ years food sober, weights

2018, All weight gain

September 2018 maintenance

This cat is missing my teen even more than me. LOL. Just kidding
Tortitude

This cat is checking out the new towels, cares not about missing the teen


I've got to say: I'm not feeling the blogging so much as I transition to life with an adult vs life with a kid in high school.

It's super important for me to transition to fun, engaging hobbies ( active ones, yo!), connect with adults of many ages and families, too.

That being said, weight maintenance is woven into all my life's priorities. If I fail to incorporate my food template, my 20 tools in weight maintenance, life will immediately hand me a pair of larger pants. Oh, heck Noooooo.

Here's the fluff

Current breakfast eats


Still collecting beach glass and walking. Walking meditation while looking for beach glass is my zen.
Ohhh, amber sea glass
Turns out it's white glass. Love it!
Fun to meet new people of all ages playing Pokemon
 Off to hire that photographer to take my progress photos.

16 comments:

  1. Glad you still post maintenance updates even if you're not feeling the blogging as much as you used to? Do you think IF works because people naturally eat less when they have less hours in the day to eat? Or is it the act of fasting that does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hils- yes and yes. Both for sure. I eat less during the day (calorie restriction built in) but there is some sort of circadian rhythm ( according to Dr. Panda at the Salk Institute). Now, If I have to break my fast and eat in the evening, I'll only eat red meat and that keeps me from overeating. Night time eating and stress eating used to be huge problems. No more! Yayyyy. Glad it works and it gives me freedom for afternoon and evening errands and projects. Good stuff.

      Delete
  2. Congradualtion on your weight lost and maintain the lost. Stop over from The Low Carb Diabetic.
    If you fine the time stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this concept: "Weight Maintenance University or Grad School."

    Plus, it's a BIG change to have an empty nest. It's a growth experience learning about all those little adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris!!! I've been preparing for a while. I parented with this end (going to college) in mind. It was time for both of us.

      Delete
    2. When my youngest went off to college, that's when I started bike riding which has since turned into one of my most favorite activities with friends.

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen. Just visiting your blog again after a four year absence. I love your maintenance work - you look awesome! I also just transitioned with having adult kids and none in HS anymore. I'm doing a no sugar, so flour eating plan right now and so far it's going great. I love to see people like you maintaining their weight loss. Cheers!
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margene! I remember you. Thank you and removing sugar and flour will help eliminate weight and the common (not normal) chronic diseases hitting our generation. Bravo! Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  5. Life moves on - I should know :) Yes, get out and make more contacts! It's time now you are more free. I remember loving that time when my daughter left home and I was ALONE!!! No need to blog too often though so don't feel like you have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda! So fun to develop new routines. Yes, I only blog when I feel like it. Nice. IG is much faster and easier. So I do that more often. Enjoy your summer

      Delete
  6. I am so in agreement that time restricted eating is the way to go. I have a really hard time stopping at mid day like you do so my meals are around 12-1 and then at 6. This really works well for me. And for me now that I am close to my ultimate goal (or at least I think I am), I am losing about one pound per month. I'm okay with that because my weight is now the lowest it has been since my early twenties. I am finally--finally!--seeing a weight in the normal BMI range--though I am just barely here at 132 pounds. However, given that I maintained at 144 pounds for about four years and higher weights along my journey, this works for me. I am hoping to get down to 124 and maintain at 124-126. I think that will work for me, but I'll know when I get there.

    And yes, maintenance takes daily work and there is no break even if you have stress in your life. I'm with you on putting the work in daily despite how life treats you. Treats and junk are not ways to deal with stress! Or so I believe now in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Ali on the weight loss. Yes many people do the mid day and one evening meal. It's easier socially, anyway. Great work and glad you are living the maintaining lifestyle. Bravo!

      Delete
  7. Hood job on maintaining and living a healthy lifestyle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MaryFran!!! I remember you!!!. I stopped using the word "healthy" since the granola and bar makers hijacked it long ago. But yes! Good biomarkers, low joint pain, pants fit. That lifestyle is good and cheaper for me. I shudder to think if I had continued to moderate all foods. Take care and thanks for stopping by the blog to say hello.

      Delete
  8. Hi Karen, I just found your blog through Diet Doctor (I'm on day 3, but a research nerd, lol).

    Your story was an absolute inspiration for me - thank you,and all my respect for investing with diligence and discipline in your weight (and ultimately health) maintenance.

    I long to be rid of creaky, sore knees, and though I'm 72 kg, not bad for 5'6, my vanity compels a more streamlined physique (I used to do ballet, so I like to FEEL lithe, hehe).

    May I ask a quick question:
    How do you have your coffee????

    Mine is daily large latte with dairy milk, X 1 or 2 a day.

    I fear I may have to cut it out. I'm on the cusp of doing so, as I think I want my latte milky (dairy milky), or not at all.

    It may seem a small issue - but coffee is my love language, and has sustained me through everything from divorce to empty nesting (and oh my, that is a thing).

    Any thoughts?

    Also, I like your approach to E.N. It has common sense, wisdom, and courage; like your weight maintenance story.

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqi!!! Thanks for stopping by. Coffee. Black. Weaned my self off Medifast coffee, Equal Coffee, Fatty coffee (using coconut oil) and coconut mild coffee to just black coffee. 99.9 % of the time. Some mornings just call for a teaspoon of coconut oil or coconut milk splash. Maybe a holiday morning, add cinnamon sprinkle. (too much makes me bruise!)

      I totally get using coffee to cope. One I started into my 50's, drinking more than 2 cups a day, even early wreaks my sleep so I switched to decaf after 12 noon or if I wanted to hang at a coffee shop, decaf americano.

      Funny when I dropped coffee down late this summer (2018), I did not crave it or get caffeine withdraw headaches, so that is good.

      Thanks again and feel free to ask any questions you might have. I check comments weekly, usually Saturday AM's.

      Delete