Saturday, December 9, 2017

Weight Related Blog award 2017, Yes, Weight Maintenance is sustainable (for me)


Hello All,

I was ranked #18 on this "awards" site. I have concerns. See the note below.

*** I removed the link****  due to click bait at the site.
Look at the list, but don't click on the list at the other site.
Just google the blogger you find interesting.*****

NOTE:

0. The site itself is a big redirect to a "reader". All the nopes. Look but don't click (google)
1.The linked site has many errors in the bios.
2. Fact check to see if the bloggers are still reaching their goals or who they say they are.
3. Photoshop is used in several cases. Fakers. Several. Keep your eyes wide open.
4. High clicks don't always mean factual blogging.
5. Be weary of commercial bloggers, there are great ones and fake ones.

Choose who you follow and why very carefully. Surround yourself with real folks who are blogging about real results. What did and didn't work. Who aren't shilling expensive products.

Long term weight maintenance is sustainable for many. Don't let media or anyone else tell you it's not. There are lots of folks who maintain their weight loss. Yes, lots do not. I did not for 40 years. I never stopped trying.

6 years, 10 months

6 years, 10 months weight maintenance





















I was ranked 18  on this website. The name on the badge is funny because regular readers know how much I kept myself stuck by staying counting WW points.

Moderating the junk food at WW kept me stuck for many years. I can't recommend WW due to the marketing of processed foods, the fruit is free but for me, I got really sick binge eating and got high glucose readings from this plan.

Please, if you are counting points, calories or macros please grab a glucose meter and check fasting and 2 hour post at home glucose readings. Save yourself from a preventable disease. 

Luckily, I broke free of the WW mentality a few months from being diagnosed as a pre-diabetic. . Eating low points bars and WW enchiladas almost had me very sick.

I kept myself stuck for many years.

 Paleo, LCHF, Keto and fasting  and abstaining are much better tools for me. For weight maintenance, disease free living, for not binge eating.

Oh me. Anyway, when I consider not blogging, ranking 18 out of 60 means there is relative content on my blog. I'll keep going. I've only been maintaining 6 years and 10 months now. I've got another 34 years or so to go.

Weight gain post menopausal is common, however not that normal. Don't buy into it. Find your real food tools, bloggers, recipes, habits, and behaviors. Tough to do in this process food driven world, I know.

Here's why I blog: I want people to know as it relates to me and long term Weight Maintenance

Here's what works for me:

1. Weight Maintenance is sustainable (Long term blogging buddies who maintain)
2. Abstaining from binge food is most important (Barbara Berkeley, MD and Gretchen Rubin)
3. Cooking at home will save your finances (Thank you Nom Nom Paleo)
4.  Paleo is sustainable (Thank you Robb Wolf and Melissa Hartwig))
5. Modified AIP is sustainable (Thank you Mickie Trescott)
6. LCHF is sustainable (Thank you Low Carb USA and The Low Carb Dietician)
7. Keto is a great tool (Thank you Keto Forums)
8. Time Restricted Eating Windows/ Intermittent Fasting is a great tool (Thank you Dr. Fung and Dr Panda)


Please, if you are searching for weight maintenance, you can find it, but not without a lot of tools. Find what works best. Find Weight Main Don't follow the fakers.

It's a long haul and long term maintenance takes work by year, month, week, day, and even by hour.

What didn't work in the past

1. Following bloggers who were gaining and giving advice- not just WW, but Paleo, LCHF, Keto.
2. Moderating the candy bars at WW meetings (HEY MAN, only 2 points, eat up)
3. Eating out a slice of pizza or a WW enchilada tray because I was busy
4. Not seeing how I look, feel and perform- and thinking grains were healthy. I got so sick
5. Dairy. It doesn't work for me post Hashimoto's disease.
6. Low fat, high carb.  Grains made me fat. As in morbidly obese
7. Eating high carb kept me from using my own body fat to become lean. Truth!
8. Eating frequently kept my blood glucose super high

Please, choose who you follow very, very carefully. Weight Maintenance is possible for those who seek it. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is possible. If you say it's not, then it won't be. So choose your tribe carefully. Choose your thoughts carefully, too.

Onward.


7 comments:

  1. That's interesting about that site, Karen. I looked at it, and the bloggers don't seem to be of your tribe because many of them are into Weight Watchers. I'm so glad you continue to post because I still learn so much from you. You also share great resources. I believe you are an "advanced maintainer," and there are very few of those around who eat like you do and who are around my age. There are several peoole I have followed in he past but they preach moderation and walking a gazillion steps a day. That isn't going to work for me, especially given my health limitations (they fluctuate and there are times I can do more and times where I can only do less in terms of exercise because of my health) and also because of the demands of my job. Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. I ended up effectively removing the link - okay to click but google the sites. I think my site got featured because of the "WW" in a 3 year old bio on a web browser. Ugh.

      The Keto and LCHF groups have people who are mid-40's through older. There is hope for a peer group, for sure. LOL. Onward. If it gets me 1 or two readers then that is good. I know WW works for some, but I also see WW long timers who are now T2D with complication. Breaks my heart.

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen,

    I love your blog and am very happy you continue to post.

    Like you, I also did WW. Like you, I can no longer recommend their program, and have not for years. I've been reading and hearing about their "new" program. HUNDREDS of free foods? Really? The minute I heard "free fruit" I knew that was a trap. Now, they have free shrimp, eggs, beans and who knows what else. I quit going to meetings about five years ago.

    Although I met my goal with WW, I set my goal at the very highest amount they allowed for my height so I could quit paying them the big bucks. Now I go between 6 and 8 pounds under that first goal.

    I don't know how people will ever get to goal on this new program. Maybe that's the plan? Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Caron!!! Always good to hear from you. It's one thing if WW promotes real food (with the support). It's whole other deal when they don't cop to the fact that there's a metabolic component. I did the same thing with the goal weight, set it high for no payment. I left after a leader got up in my face about supporting another member abstaining from chocolate cake with frosting "I can't stop eating that either, so I decided to abstain...." At least the poor lady who couldn't stop gave me a "Thank you" look and the whole group heard what I had said.

    I had an abstinence based WW leader right before I got pregnant (lost 60+ pounds). She was a awesome. Red light foods, "Can you stop eating the Costco Pizza, No? okay, well then don't ask me about points because it's your red light food and not going to get you to your goal, so don't eat it. " Yeah! I miss her a lot.

    I get what you mean, if WW has very few paying members it's less income for them. Plus the commercial side with the food manufactures- Heinz back in 98-99.

    Not sure I blogged about it but I went to the WW online site for a few days and plugged my LCHF food template in. I was eating 40-45 points per day. No way I could have made LCHF/Keto/Paleo work if I were doing both. So by counting points, I was keeping myself FAT and paying $10-14 per week to stay fat. Ughhhhhhhh.

    I got tired of seeing folks lined up at the cashier with boxes of packaged crap, knowing WW was cashing in and knowing that the processed foods would likely not get those with metabolic disease well. Made me so sad. The rate at which the staff weighing me in would grab my Nom-Nom Paleo cook books ( I need to make weight, will these recipes help me? YES!!!!, LCHF will help you). Funny and sad.

    I know it works for the younger crowd. But how does it work for the metabolic folks. Maybe Simply Filling does. Without an abstinence based program, they are taking the food addicts for a very expensive ride. About 40% of obese are estimated to have some level of addiction.

    Glad you are smart, Caron. Your eyes are wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, I hope you are doing ok with the fires. We are sending more people there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are okay. Lilac Fire is almost out. Winds died down enough for containment. Whew!!! Tough stuff. My heart goes out to all of those who had to evacuate or who lost their homes or livestock or jobs. Tough fire year! :) Thanks for checking.

      Delete
  5. Hi Karen -- Just came across your blog. Thanks for sharing. About 1 1/2 years ago I went on "Atkins". I always liked meat and cheese, so that was not a big sacrifice. I cut out all grains and potatoes and all products with added sugars. I lost about 20 pounds over the first six months. Then my weight loss stalled. I am also currently going through menopause and find that it is more difficult to maintain my weight. Great to see that you have maintained it for more than five years! You look awesome. Maria

    ReplyDelete