Sunday, January 8, 2017

4 years and 11 months into long term weight maintenance 17:7 intermittent fasting for the WIN!

May 2011 to Jan 2017




May 2011 to Jan 2017





















Starting weight 187.4 lbs
Goal Range 115-125  lbs
Current Weight 116.4 lbs
Keeping off  71.0 lbs

Time in maintenance 4 years, 11 months

Age 50
Menopause 3+years
Height 5'1"
BMI 22.0
BMI ave this month 22.1
BMI ave last month 22.2
Ave glucose (fasting & 2hr post this month = 73mg/dL)
Ave glucose (fasting & 2 hr post last month = 71 mg/dL)

Food Template:  Ketosis and/or LCHF, NSNG
Abstain from all grains, sugars*, dairy. Nut free, artificial sweetener free **
Exceptions:
* 85% chocolate 1X per day
** Tiny bit of stevia in my Natural Calm

Food Timing or Time Restricted Eating Window or Intermittent Fasting 17:7

17 hours fasting (water only)
7 hours eating, 3 meals
Eating window is 6am to 1pm (approx)


Auto-Immune Hashimotos 1997, 100 MCG,  Levothyroxine  daily
Food Addict in Recovery: 5+ years
High Risk, but never diagnosed Type 2 diabetes


Walking 13,000-14,000 steps per day
Weight lifting 1-2 days per week, 

Sprints on the rowing machine 1 days per week , took a break this week due to procedure

Stair Ave/day for the month 15 stairs (Apple Health Kit)


What's working now:
1. The 17:7 intermittent fasting  I fasting 17 hours- water only, and eating 3 meals, during 7 hours is really having great outcomes.  Here I am, newly entered my next plateau and this weight happens to be my ultimate weight maintenance.  I typically eat from 6am to 1pm or so every day.

I eat at 6am, 10am, and around noon- 1pm about nine out of every 10 days. Variations occur during weekends, travel, or work meetings a few days. It's all good.

I've lost 6% of my total body weight, even within my weight maintenance range. About 1.2 pounds per month. More importantly, I've been maintaining that loss comfortably.

2. Plateau living: I will be working to stay on the 116 lbs plateau and will attempt not to cycle back to the 119's, if at all possible. Time will tell if this way of eating will produce year or 2 or 3 year results.

There are no benefits for me dropping below 113 due to clothes fitting and extra skin, so I'll be likely looking to stop losing weight, if I reached the 110-113 area. I've never had to try hard to gain, so I 'm not too concerned. LOL. ;)

3. Stable Blood Glucose:  I eat to my glucose meter. 

 My blood glucose has never been lower and I seem to have 15 ug/mL differences between fasting and 2 hour post. All that I could ever hope for to keep type 2 Diabetes from becoming a diagnosis. This is the best glucose control I've ever had.

4.  Good sleep : I'm able to sleep many nights closer to 7.5 hrs, the longest in my adult life. Not all the time, but most of the time I can get good quality sleep with only Natural Calm Magnesium supplement at night ( I count this as a supplement and it doesn't seem to impact my 17hr fast)


5. House and Personal projects, or just time for me- better time blocks: Since I'm only cooking for my daughter at night, I can either batch cook or reheat things for her, then sit and sip my water. I don't miss out on family time and I can block out the early evenings for house or personal projects and hobbies, gym time, or just time for junky TV for break.

It's nice to bracket or block my time. I get more done in each time block and that gives me more time for fun stuff.  I'm spending more time on my photography and focused in my favorite support groups, when I feel like it.



What didn't work in the past:

1. Eating all day long and at night. I ate probably 6:18-  I spent 6 hours fasting at sleep and eating mini-meals and snacks and regular meals for 18 hours per day, much of it at night.  Ugh!!!! No, keeping your glucose jacked up is not going to end well for many of us with obesity histories. It only fueled a thick layer of back fat and made me sleepy.

2-3. I used plateaus in the past to justify eating sugar and grains. "Well I didn't gain, so I might as well eat this cinnamon toast with Brummel and Brown spread and count the WW points because high grain fiber can be subtracted..... it's low fat....." Completely biologically false for a lean body outcome. Fooling myself so much. It's tough to think about that tub of Brummel & Brown.

 Sadly, I almost became type 2 Diabetic with this type of glucose control, very high spikes. Yikes!!!

I could have used that time to get into loss mode if I had acted sooner and tried low carb. It's watery butter spread over the river of former obesity now..... ;)

4. Sleep:  I slept 5-6 hours and tried to make it up over the weekend. Once menopause it, sleeping through the night became much more difficult.

5. House and personal projects took a back burner: I was too sleepy and too likely to sit on the couch early in the evening and doze because of my highs and lows of my glucose. I thought doing 3-4,000 steps a day was awesome. Ugh!!!

Onward and here's to always working to find what works for you. Always. Don't stop improving your health. 


CHARTS:   You know it, the charts speak for themselves. I started the 17:7 IF on July 4, 2016






6 months of 17:7 fasting





4 comments:

  1. You've done such a great job. I am finally adding fasting into my regimen and look forward to seeing the kind of results and charts that you've had. I'm tired of not getting to my goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larcana, I wish you all the best in finding what IF works for you. I tried only eating 2X per day, late in the day and it only added a layer of sub cutaneous back fat after awhile... Ugh! I could tell that some of it (the fasting part) was good- I had extra energy and felt great much of the time.

      Here's to self experimenting and getting your body and mind's feedback. Cheering you on for the next steps. The best thing you can tell your self is that the answer is out there and that you have enough strength, courage, and grit to find it and get what you want. I totally believe it's possible.

      Onward and know that you are not alone. :) Karen P.

      Delete
  2. Which Natural Calm Magnesium do you prefer taste-wise? Are you using the one you mix with a glass of water? My goodness, a quick search at Amazon, and there are SO many choices now. I have been taking two Magnesium Citrate capsules with my dinner but don't find them helping me anymore - at all. REALLY struggling with sleep these days. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allyson. I take natural calm raspberry-lemon. It's the only form of stevia ( teeny tiny amounts) I drink it after dissolving the powder.

    I dilute it so that I cannot detect the sweet. I need to be super aware of getting hooked on sweet foods again. I found all the different formulas of magnesium to be different and some make me feel dead inside 😫 The Natural Calm is relaxing to me and helps me sleep.

    ReplyDelete