Thursday, July 3, 2014

No Grains, No Gains - July 2014 topic - Favorite Foods


Our Mission Statement : A group a of Primal/Paleo/Grain free women who blog about their experiences/life/benefits without grains. It’s a great way for others (who may be wanting to lose weight, reverse an acute/chronic health trend, and/or transition from commercial weight loss programs) to read about real life women who are living the life and succeeding!

The July 2014 topic is : Favorite foods!

Now that I'm (processed) sugar free, grain free, dairy free, nut free, and legume free, I've got new favorite foods. Foods that are nutrient dense, and that taste great. I've added more real foods to my regular foods than I ever subtracted in the "new normal" Paleo-ish, #NSNG (No Sugar, No Grains)food template.

The processed food products that I ate were just food products. In the list below, I list real, whole foods.  It was a welcome change to add to my favorites list.

I've listed a few favorites, in order of "Like"
See the underlined foods, I really didn't eat these foods before switching to a Paleo-ish template. Now they make my top food favorites. My palate has changed up in a good way.

Favorite Veggies:

1. Tomatoes (yes! I know, tomatoes are fruit.. okay... whatever!)
2. Shredded cabbage
3. Kale veggie mix
4. Orange, Yellow, Red Bell Pepper
5. Celery
6. English Cucumber
7. Onions
8. Asparagus
8. Broccoli slaw
9. Brussels sprouts
10. Green onions
11. Carrots
12. Bok Choy
13. Radishes

Favorite Proteins:
1. Grass-fed Beef 
2. Eggs
2. Organic Chicken thighs
3. Bison
4. Shrimp
5. Crab
6. Langostino lobster
7. Smoked oysters
8. Salmon

Favorite fruits:
1. Blueberries
2. Raspberries
3. In season, thin slices only, peaches, apples, blood orange
4. Rare bite of pineapple, tropical fruit (in season)

Favorite cooking and salad dressing oils and fats:
1. Avocado (whole)
2. Coconut oil
3. Avocado oil
4. Olive oil
5. Coconut milk

Herbs and other spices:
1. Sea salt
2. Garlic sea salt
3. Cinnamon
4. Paprika
5. Curry
6. Cilantro
7. Basil

What's working now:
1. Sticking to my Paleo-ish food template
2. Using seasonal whole foods
3. Using fats to saute veggies, sometimes

What didn't work
1. Eating processed foods
2. Buying according to coupons in the Sunday newspaper!
3. Being afraid of fat and heaping on grains instead!

Be sure to check out my blogger friends ( a few are taking time off this summer)


Gwen at Against The Grain

Jeannette at For Life

1 comment:

  1. Great list, Karen!

    There are so many unprocessed, fresh, healthy foods we can enjoy!

    ReplyDelete