Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Italian Bison Bowl (Paleo) Batch Cooking



 I rely on batch cooking Paleo meals that taste great and I can take from the stove, to the freezer, to the microwave, with the dishes winding up in the dishwasher at the end of the day.

 My health and Weight Maintenance have never been so awesome due to batch cooking! Here's one of my favorite recipes.

 Italian Bison Bowl (Paleo)  Batch Cooking
Ingredients: (see the end of the post for the brands I used)
  • 1 to 2 pounds of ground bison, browned (or grass-fed beef)
  • One package of kale, kale sweet salad mix, or cabbage (remove the dressing and toppings)
  • 1 to 2 sliced white onions
  • 1 jar or can of marinara sauce (stick to Paleo ingredients, where possible)
  • Garlic Sea Salt to taste
  • Italian spices
  • Coconut oil
Several freezer to microwave to dishwasher dishes with lids.
The mug featured here is CorningWare and I purchased it at Walmart or Target
2 large pans for sauteeing.
The Bison will be in pan number 1
The Kale will be in pan number 2
The Onions will be in pan number 1 (with the tallow from the bison!)

  1. Brown the bison in the first  pan. Add Italian Seasoning and/or garlic sea salt, if desired. Remove the bison and keep the tallow in the pan.
  2. In a second pan, pour the sweet kale salad (remove the dressing and topping packets) into the pan with a spoon of coconut oil.
  3. Stir the kale mixture in the pan over medium heat to  sauté. . Add a spoon full of coconut oil to coat the kale mixture. The kale mixture will start to shrink as it cooks. 
  4. Spoon and pack the kale mixture into your dishware. I fill mine half full or so.
  5. While the bison is cooking in pan number 1, slice up the onions.
  6. Spoon the ground bison over the kale mixture in your dishware. Leave the tallow in pan number 1.
  7. Saute the onions in the left over tallow in pan number 1
  8. Spoon the onions over the bison bowl. 
  9. I pour  out about a half a cup of marinara over the top of the bowl.
  10. Refrigerate or Freeze
  11. Re-heat before eating, I add the Garlic Sea Salt at the end of the cooking.
  12. If frozen, then stir, there will be some liquid in the bottom if frozen, but no worries! Tastes great!
  13. Refrigerate any left over, extra sauteed kale mixture. 
No nutritional values, your ingredients will vary.
Ready to freeze


Best marinara sauce EVER!

Hunted and gathered at Costo





Sweet Kale Salad
Slice up those onions
Post sauteing


sauteing the onions in bison tallow


10 comments:

  1. Thanks, Karen! Why don't you mix/blend the items together before freezing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Gwen. The size of the microwavable mug is better for layering. As I re-heat , I stir. I also can pack a lot of the kale mixture down in the bowl first. It may be visually more appealing, too. Basically.... I'm not sure. If you make this and stir... let me know how it works.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Do remember where you got those little white ceramic containers with lids?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hils... yes... I think I'll edit the post with the information. Walmart and Target both have them. They are CorningWare and worth the price. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I thought of one more question :). How many servings do you usually get out of this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I use 1.25 pounds of bison, I can usually get 4 servings. Depends how protein rich I want my lunches to be. I usually need 4- 5 oz of protein per lunch and dinner to feel good. I like to use 2 or even 2.5 pounds of bison to really get a lot of meals made when I make this batch cooked meal.

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious! I eat bowls like this all the time and also precook as much as possible on the weekend. It really is all about being prepared! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I eat buffalo/bison (I think of this as the same thing, do you?) on occasion. I have never cooked it. My food coop makes veggie soup with it. I know exactly what is in their recipes, eating their cooking is the same as eating my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing Karen ..... and I love kale too

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete