|Whole 13th chapter- folded over!|
Chapter 13, Stopping the Food. Wheat
This post is dedicated to those who are afraid of not eating a "food group". Because I was terrified of it. Until tried it. n =1 . If you can eat wheat, grains,
When I have a paperback book and something really pops off the page, I fold over the corner.
(Yes, I know that bugs some people, get over it, my book, - my DEAL, ;) LOL!)
Quotes from the book: Food Junkies- chapter 13
"..The first step in recovery is to eliminate the drug causing the addiction"
"The first task is to identify which foods spark the addictive path ways. Sugar leads the list"
"... people are less likely to identify flour, especially in its "healthy" disguises, such as whole-wheat pasta or multi-grain breads, as a danger. "
My story: I'll never forget the moment I finally accepted wheat was a trigger.
When I went through my 70 pound weight loss in May 2011, I accepted sugar as a trigger. And yes, I would have to stop eating it. I knew it deep inside. No problem.
It took 6-8 weeks off sugar for the brain clarity to come back. Early July 2011, I was making a cauliflower pizza crust as part of my lean and green meal. (*TSFL- Medifast protocol- hey, paleo peeps, I had to start somewhere!)
It took a clear brain and a lot of honesty.
So is it the pasta sauce? No.
The cheese? No, I did binge on cheese, but this time around, it wasn't triggering.
The toppings? No, I did binge on pepperoni, but it was not triggering this time around.
The crust... was it the sugar? Maybe, heck, I binged a lot on bread, every.single.time.
The crust... was it the wheat. Oh!
The counselor told me sugar AND WHEAT were like allergies to me. Winner, Winner, Pizza dinner!
|Moderating grains and sugars (Left), No Grains No Sugars (right)|
Yeah, so I grabbed the kitchen counter,
* Note, I transitioned off the Medifast in 2012 to 2013 and onto a Paleo/ Modified AIP for long term food sobriety.*
Better late than never. I'm still standing. I had to forgive myself for not listening to my counselors advice. 8 years prior. "Sugars and grains are like allergies for you. You may want to stop eating them. Many people eliminate wheat and sugars and are fine"
Here's what's working for me now:
0. The wisdom to do what I need to do for myself
1. Not eating any grains
2. Not eating processed sugars
3. Accepting that those foods are like an allergy or drug for me.
4. Eating from a Paleo-ish , low carb, higher natural fat, food template for good gut and brain health
5. Not blaming myself, but finding what keeps my blood work the best. hs-CRP, glucose
Here's what didn't work in the past:
0. Letting fear rule and doing what worked for other people, following lemmings over a cliff.
1. Eating lots and lots of whole grains: toaster waffles, kashi cereal, oatmeal(!), Fiber One (aka- colon blow!) See the video : Colon Blow from Saturday Night Live
2. Eating lots of candy, but only in 1 or 2 WW point quantities ( binge trigger always- 10- 20 points!)
3. Not accepting that it's a brain chemistry thing,that I was born this way.
4. Eating lots of WW, Lean Cuisine, and Healthy Choice meals. Oh, me. Low fat, high carb.
5. Blaming myself for not points counting hard or well enough.
Who knew that getting rid of a few foods would lead to such great results. People are so afraid of "eliminating a food group". I know, I was one of them, packing back those healthy whole grains and afraid I'd binge if I abstained. Right! Have another look at the colon blow video......
I was queen of the binge eating grains!!! I did end up apologizing to my family for scaring them that I was going to wind up eating myself to death. Sigh. Better late than never. What didn't kill me made me stronger.
Good thing I got out of my own faulty thinking on that one.
Super glad that Dr. Tarman wrote about grains in her book. I suspect I'm not alone. I feel so much better now.
Hey, is Katie still reading this blog? Because my cats seem to think that books are interesting, too. Sometimes the tortitude gets to be too much at my house. ;)
|Folded down book pages & tortoiseshell cats|