I took a relaxing walk on the beach last weekend. Busy with the usual home project, mom, and weekend activities. It was a nice clear day, I was walking and keeping my eye out for cool things to photograph. I was pretty relaxed.
I spotted this shell at the edge of the surf. I leaned closer to get the right angle for the photo. A wave came up, so I waited for the water to recede.
I got close up this time, and a huge memory washed over me... a food memory. Bugles, the snack food from the 1970's. BAM! I was transported back to about 9 or 10 years old, camping with my family. Making funny duck faces, the red bag, the really good salty crumbs at the bottom of the bag..... insert sound of a screeching breaks here....
I stood up and kept walking. Now I was thinking and slightly amused and very respectful. Okay! Obviously I
I got the heck back on my walk down the beach after that. Food memories faded and I went on with my walking and photography. I let it in, wash over me, and sent those memories on their way.
- The shape/texture/pattern of a shell could trigger that memory
- I could "see" colors, details, and smells
- I'll bet people pay a lot of money to have childhood flash backs! I'm getting free beach walk therapy. Awesome!
- I can "give the virtual finger"- see photo below, to the old ways of coping
- Emotional eating is laying just underneath the surface
- Thoughts can pop up at any moment, I can't control it, I can respect it
- I own that, I own my past, I respect the power of my brain
- I can let waves of thoughts wash over me
- I can examine them, if I choose
- I can let them go
- I can see it for what it is
- I can make choices in the present day
- I can have clarity
- I can choose not to eat if I'm not hungry
Okay, anyhoo... enough "Woo-Woo" I got to the highest point of my walk and and looked around. Yep! That smoke stack looks like a "virtual finger" Awesome! More beach walks, more photography, more flow. Let in, wash over, let it go, let it flow...
1. Taking time to be Primal and get out in nature
2. Eating a lot of Paleo-Primal foods so I feel pain free so I can walk and abstaining from foods that cause me pain.
3. Taking lots of photos when I do steps 1-2
4. Getting great take away lessons from the flow AND practicing them. Walking the talk!!!
What didn't work in the past:
1. Not getting outside enough
2. Eating prior binge/emotional foods and thinking I could moderate those foods
3. Not practicing a hobby that I enjoyed often enough
4. Not really practicing what I knew worked. No blame, no shame.Hard to get the clarity sometimes.
Anybody else remember Bugles? I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole today. :)