Saturday, April 11, 2015

Underground Wellness (Sean Croxton) interviews Grechen Ruben- daily weighing and abstaining discussed


Sean Croxton interviewed Gretchen Ruben about her new book- Better Than Before- Mastering the Habits of our Everyday Lives

Link to the interview

If you are downloading in iTunes, the show is #326, Underground Wellness

To take the Quiz mentioned in the interview, go to Gretchen's website.

Oh, holy heck. My heros. Both of them.
  • I used to be an obliger, now I'm an upholder. Putting myself first and telling everyone else to deal with their own stuff.
  • I love, love, love daily weighing as weight management tool. Data. I can take action quickly day-to-day, only when needed. 
  • Abstaining from sugars (and grains) is also a huge tool in weight management.  Clear mind, clear food choices  honors my genotype and epi-genetics.  I  have the genes to be high risk for obesity, but not have the phenotype. Even after 40 years of yo-yo dieting and being morbidly obese.  3 years in the normal.
Thank you both Gretchen and Sean for helping me understand my transformation in a deeper way. Putting myself first feels awesome,as does food sobriety now that I'm off sugar and grains. Managing the whole thing with daily weighing. Yeah, life is sweet without the sugar.

 I'm a whole new person inside and out!

What works now:
3 years, daily weighing

1. Listening to podcasts to keep my knowledge fresh and renew as often as possible- life long learning.
2. Daily weighing. Reversing trends when they are small
3. Abstaining from sugars (and grains)
4. Thinking for myself.
5.  Putting myself first.

What didn't work in the past:

1. Not moving on and learning a better way.(example counting WW points for years!) when something wasn't working.
2. Avoiding the scale, in hopes I could just wing it.
3. Eating sugars (and grains) in moderation.
4. Thinking I was doing the right thing because most others ate in moderation. I thought I must be wrong.
5. Putting myself absolute last and training others to do the same thing to me. Ugh.

Okay, readers. Have you listened to the podcast. If you read the book, I'm interested in what your thoughts are. Good or bad. I know daily weighing is not for everyone. That is okay. Honor yourself and what works.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Katie, for many, daily weighing is crazy town. Don't do it if it doesn't work for you.

      Delete
  2. Katie it was for me to until I hit long-term weight maintenance. With my slippery slope thinking weighing in less often was just no longer an option Had I not weighed in daily I would be morbidly obese again
    How often do you weigh? Do what works for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning the podcast. I am going to listen to it when I exercise tomorrow. I absolutely must weigh every day on the scale for my sanity. I like to catch gains before they get too large. I am willing to give myself two pounds at this point, but if I see anything higher, I take immediate action. That's what works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Daily weighing is a lifesaver for me. My slippery slope thinking would love to come back and rule my brain.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all the info. I subscribed to both podcasts! You are an inspiration. I have to weigh daily as well. But I don't let it ruin my day, I just adjust what I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sean Croxton, he's so down to earth and explains things well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I don't always connect to all of the topics, but I love Sean's enthusiasm and he's such a great interviewer. Good stuff.

      Delete
  6. Listening to the podcast now! PS...Karen, I'm so thankful for you and that you have this blog. I'm about to hit the road to recovery (for real), and I know I can always click over here and read back through some of your post to be encouraged that life can be lived happily and fully without the junk/sugar. Hope you are well this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, I'm cheering you on for your own personal recovery. It's not easy, but so, so worth it. My life is so much easier now, although it is a lot of work and meal in meal out planning and thought recovery, too. But easier once I got off the sugars and grains. Keep going.

      Delete