I'm totally geeking out this Saturday morning and watching the live streaming of PaleoFX 2014
I'm also actively tweeting a lot about key take aways.
Since I use a Paleo-ish food template and a Primal Blueprint lifestyle to maintain my 70 pound weight loss, continuing education is a must. If I want to be a long term weight maintainer, keeping my head in the game is a critical step. It started with food for me, but extends into sleep, stress management, and dealing with emotional eating.
I started the morning listening to Sarah Fragoso speak about how to "Undo the Paleo Diet" and escape the diet dogma.
What I loved:
1. Diets don't work- ask yourself how you feel
2. What is your paleo?- ask yourself how you feel
3. Model good behavior for you, your kids will follow you.
4. Sarah still struggles with when to turn off and "slow the heck down".
Karen's notes: Yep! I can totally relate to Sarah. Customizing your food template and putting yourself first as a parent/person are both critical steps to my well-being.
I caught the tail end of the Ask the Paleo Masterminds Talk. Wow! Such a great line up of experts. Dr. Terry Wahls
Kirk Parsley, M.D.
I also sat down and had an egg wrap with asparagus, kale, and avocado and a cup of coffee.
What I loved:
1. Question about cravings being related to the foods you are sensitive.Nora explained about stress response due to the food sensitivity releasing endorphins and thus the craving. "Is there a food you couldn't live without?" Might be a place to start. No absolutes here. Karen's note: I nearly passed out on the floor when I realized that my so called pizza craving was really a wheat sensitivity. I blogged about that day here.
2. Dr. Wahls: The food we are eating is less nutrient dense than that of our parents, grandparents, great grandparents. Karen's note: eating real foods is key to stopping emotional eating triggers for me. My long term health is much, much better.
3. Cris Kresser: Your body becomes habituated to inflammatory foods, your body is always "on gaurd". Karen's notes: I can tell you I was in a huge amount of physical and emotional pain when I had a hs-CRP of 6.8 Now using a Paleo Food template, my hs-CRP is 0.4 Big difference in my health, not getting sick, feeling energetic and no joint pain. Amazing.
Finally, the US Healthcare Crisis or Chaos Talk
What I loved:
1. The different perspectives and personal experiences of the panel- Doctors, consumers, experts in reducing health costs.
Dr. Grayson Wheatley
Julie and Charles Mayfield
Dr. Richard Maurer
2. It made me think about how much my own health care costs and validates some of the decisions to opt out of a screening test that my insurance won't cover. I believe that I'm being over screened. I told my doctor that either the Radiologist could go on vacation or I could go on vacation. I was going to pick me this time! It feels good to use my instincts on this one. I'll have some future blog posts about this.
3. Ummm.. not sure if I should say this or not, but these guys were easy on the eyes. Should that matter? nooooo. But, it was a bonus! Just saying... ;)
That's it! I'm off to do some work before the next sessions start up. I would say I've already gotten my $$ worth out of the livestreaming. The continuing education is wonderful. The topics presented will stay for along time in my brain and that keeps me on my path and motivated. Onward!