Saturday, January 27, 2018

Face to Face 2018, unintended benefit of LCHF and Keto, I look different

Not only do I feel 31 at age 51 but I have a completely different look now that I've been Paleo, Low Carb, mildly Keto for almost 6 years.

I still have age spots, wrinkles, chubby cheeks with a wrinkly neck,  freckles,  and some saggy skin. Weight Maintenance and the right for you food template can only fix so much. LOL.

And it's not just me. Check out all the before and after photos at other Paleo, Primal, Low Carb, and Keto, NSNG support groups.

Marks Daily Apple https://www.marksdailyapple.com/success-stories-home/
Diet Doctor (LCHF) https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/success-stories
Paleo Success Stories http://paleononpaleo.com/category/paleo-success-stories/
Keto Success Stories (Public) https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/progress/public-before-and-after-shots
Keto Success Stories (Private) - join and participate at https://www.ketogenicforums.com/ to see those
Fasting Success stories (IDM Program) https://idmprogram.com/testimonials/
HEAL Clinics (Eric Westman, MD) https://healclinics.com/success-stories-low-carb-results/
NSNG- Facebook Vinnie Tortorich's private group

Wow. It's a real treat for me to see people eating food for humans and comparing what they look like before and after. It's amazing what addressing your obesity inputs and applying your correct food template will do. I look different in a good way.

Jan 2009, pre half marathon photo, Carlsbad, CA
I ran across this photo of me in 2009, the start of the Carlsbad 2009 half marathon. I walked it and developed plantar fasciitis a few months later. I almost became temporarily disabled from it the summer of 2009 at about 60-65 pounds overweight. I went on to gain even more weight, even though the plantar fasciitis got a little better. I was fiercely low fat, counting points, slamming Cliff Bars, Skinny Cow Ice Creams, and the obligatory LOW FAT muffins with training buddies at Starbucks.

I ate 6 times a day. It turned out so poorly

I kept my training friends and ditched low fat, high carb. I'd pay a lot for a WW enchilada frozen meal right now, with a mug of Medifast hot chocolate.

Hmmmm Beef Brisket, Rotisserie chicken, green salad, colorful lower starch veggies. Cup of good, black coffee. I would not go back if someone paid me. Really. Eating in a 6-7 hour window.

Free, feeling and looking young, vs hobbling and almost keeling over. Food seeking at every chance No WAY. I so believed I would find a lean muscular body by doing that. It didn't kill me,

Flash forward to my long term weight maintenance plan, the correct food template, 60 minutes of moderate paced walking, 2X strength workouts per week and mobility exercises daily.

January 2018, new glasses selfie!  Costco

When a food template works, when abstaining works it really shows. Lab work all the way to a selfie. Don't stop until you find the right food and exercise combo. 

My late father was right, what didn't killed me did make me stronger. Onward. 


5 comments:

  1. You look healthy and great! Kudos to you, Karen, for making the changes and sticking with them.

    I've got another question as usual. Do you ever eat any processed meat like bacon or salami? I don't think you do, but I don't recall. And do you eat beef every day? At one point I remember you eating it very frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali!!! I don't respond well to pork, but I like it so 2-3 X/year I'll have some bacon. I will also eat Chomps beef sticks (trader joes $1.69 each) in times of need. I like those a lot, but they are expensive so might eat 2 beef sticks per month. Maybe 5 per month if I'm traveling and waffles are for breakfast. I have a beef stick and avocado.

      YESSSSS! Beef has a lot of nutrient value AND if feel extra energetic, happy, and lean after I eat it. That's probably my body's signal to "eat this". I eat ground beef (chili seasoning or Italian seasoning), grass fed burgers, and any cut of meat that I can get my hands on that can be cooked in the Instantpot that is inexpensive- chuck roast, rump roast (using Michelle Tam's Mexican Beef recipe.

      For a treat I'll get beef ribs and cook them or I'll buy beef brisket. After meeting 2 100% carnivores at Low Carb USA and another MD who only eats minimal vege and seeing how absolutely well, happy and healthy they were, I've come to understand that you have to go by your genetics and how you feel.

      For me, it may be the zinc alone. Who knows. I cycle in sardines, chicken, eggs, sometimes lamb. So there's that. Eating beef is 100% right for me. I can feel it after every single meal I eat. Wonderful. I'm only sorry I outsourced my brain to WW thinking beef was bad and soy was good. NOPE, not for me.

      Delete
    2. Also if you need to unbrainwash yourself, I love Diana Rodgers. I used to be a smug chicken eater and soy consumer. No more. Proud to eat beef. https://sustainabledish.com/10-reasons-stop-eating-much-chicken/

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the answer and information about Diana Rodgers. I do want to curtail my bacon and salami intake. I would like to move away from processed meat. But I to love beef, and I have been eating it almost every day. The beef and bison from US Wellness Meats is to die for good just with some salt and pepper or some Primal Palate seasonings. I learned about that place form Frazsiska's instagram posts. I really enjoy it.

      Delete
    4. Hi Ali, I'm on the fence about processed meat. Since I've done 23nMe and my colon cancer from a genetic prospective is low (there are other risk factors like red meat), I could do more- like dried, cured meat was used for centuries, and I see my Italian friends like Vinnie Tortorich, Anna Vocino, and Nicole Racine enjoying the cured meats of their heritage and family traditions. I remember one of my uncles talking about cured meat on my great grandparents farms. My dad saying "Hey, salt keeps bugs from growing, cured meat feeds staving people" Another lesson from the olden times.

      I shudder to think the lessons I'm teaching my daughter.. Lazy Acres (whole foods type of store) has good beef brisket.... (LOL... Sigh)

      LOL. There's a lot of talk of the science validity around some studies, however, I do think there's some sort of cancer link. I just have no idea what further connections might be.

      Yeah, eating beef. I get slammed every single time by someone at gatherings for eating red meat and talking about it. F-that. My regular burger is nutritional circles around chemical boxed storms of non-meat subs. Insane.

      Glad you are a hearty beef eater. I point out my muscles, lean body, and show a photo of my before to those who slam me. I point out how much easier menopause has been with beef. Good luck on the cutting back. If I could do anything, I would cook with lard ( I do for my kid) and do different cuts of pork - shoulder, short ribs.

      I may try fasting 17:7 for several months and retest pork. Can't hurt. I only blow up a day or two.

      Delete