If you are struggling or on the fence thinking about using abstaining eating strategies, keep an open mind to abstaining. I used to buy into the Moderation Myth. Glad I can think for myself. It's sweet.
I started living life fully. Candy was a false sugar fix. Moderating Halloween Candy was one of the worst choices I could make. Moderating mini- candy bars always triggered a binge.
No matter how well I counted WW points, planned for just one piece, sugar really effects my thought processes. Sugar really effected my health. Scary how close I was to pre-diabetes. How much inflammation I had.
All the sugar effects have poor outcomes to my emotional and physical health. I was born this way. It's not a matter of being "weak" "disordered" or "ill" (people like to name call, funny, almost more than when I was obese!! Whatever....) It's just the way my molecular biology presents, combined with my past and present food environment That's okay. It's okay not to eat sugar if it works for me. It's not like I have a "sugar deficiency". Halloween Candy is not special. I'm an adult. My choice.
Rather than fighting something I feel I cannot change, I abstained from Halloween Candy in 2011, 2012, and 2013. ( My Halloween Post from 2013) . I now plan to abstain in 2014. If you return in 2015,I plan to abstain. My choice.
I'm still maintaining my 68-70 pound weight loss over 2+ years. I get the choice:
A. Abstain and not re-gain, clear thinking
B. Moderate candy, binge eat, gain weight, binge eat.
One choice is much, much to me sweeter than the other.
If you are abstaining from Halloween Candy this year, please know you are not alone! If you moderate candy and are still reading this post- yayyyy you. High five! Respect. If you are on the fence, try think for yourself, your choices, your outcomes. There's no one right way. Experimenting takes a lot of courage, self-efficacy, strength. N=1.
What works for me
1. Abstain from all Halloween Candy, again, 2014 for the WIN!
2. Any candy brought into the house gets placed out of sight
3. Extra candy after a few weeks is tossed into the trash
4. I enjoy taking Halloween photos of non candy items
5. I get outside and walk a lot and take a lot of photos (low tides this weekend)
What didn't work in the past
1. I would attempt to moderate, memorize those WW mini-candy bar charts.
2. I would attempt to moderate mini-candy bars EVERY day, then buy candy at the 1/2 price sales!
3. What extra candy? I ate it up pretty fast
4. I could only think about what types of candy I liked the best.
5. I was only concerned with how many houses I could (or that I could take my kid)
|Candy Abstaining Island|