|May 2011 to August 2014|
This is the post where I document where I am, post weight loss. If you don't like talk about weights and the scale, weight graphs, before and after weight loss photos, skip this post. For the rest of you.... the details.
Highest weight : 187.4
Current weight : 117.0
Goal weight range: 113-118
|Feb 2012 to August 2014- two and a half years!|
Menopause: yes, second year
Two and a half years. The longest time I've gone at one stable weight since I was six years old. 40 years of searching for a stable weight. I'm felling pretty accomplished right now.
I had been trending a little higher in my weight maintenance range on and off in 2014. I decided to do try two big things that turn out to be related. Not necessarily weight related... But I do feel better doing both things.
1. Track food at My Fitness Pal every day, no matter what. I really want to see what my carb range is. Keeping my carb range between 40-50 grams per day. ( from non starchy vegetables, occasionally berries, and a small amount of 85% chocolate)
2. Try to get as much sleep as I can each night. It means I cut my internet surfing down, put down projects, sleep in a little if possible on days off work.
As it turns out, if I keep my carbs in the 40-50 ish range ( more on super active days) , I can and do sleep extra well. I naturally get sleepy, fall asleep quick and wake up just before my alarm felling well rested. There's definitely a carb and good sleep connection.
Is that effecting my weight? Who knows but it probably won't hurt me. I feel great most days. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the last 6 months or so. Eliminating my trigger foods and high carb processed foods has really helped me from having very few binge thoughts. It's a nice relief.
I wouldn't say things are always easy, but setting up consistent habits, my current food template, daily weighing , and tracking when needed are all routine now. Easier than I thought. Much easier than gaining it back again. Food tastes great, I feel full after and between meals.
Easy is relative. Weight maintenance takes day in day out, meal in meal out work. Onward!
What's working now
1. Lower carb Paleo-ish food template
2. Being tough about my food choices
3. Eating for fuel for my body and not out of emotions, feeling my feelings
4. Prioritizing sleep by staying off the electronic grid, kicking the cats out of my sleeping area
What didn't work in the past
1. Eating processed and/or higher carb foods ( yes, even fruit, it's not free for me)
2. Eating according to what everyone else deemed popular ( candy topping on frozen yogurt , energy bars , dried fruit on oatmeal, moderate cupcakes= binge filled says and nights + doughy body)
3. Numbing out tough emotional time, with sweets or wheat
4. Letting other priorities and nocturnal cat shenanigans interrupt my sleep.