|I saute my eggs every morning in a little Coconut Oil!|
I knew this:
1. Weight maintenance IS (for me) much different than weight loss.
2. What worked in the past temporarily, wouldn't work in the future. 40 years of yo-yo dieting!
3. I needed to customize the new things that I tried due to my body size, age, menopause, post thyroid disease, history of emotional/binge eating, family history of MS and bone loss. Dang! Lots of history baggage, but others have overcome bigger things.
4. I would do this! Yeah! Huh-Huh... Knew I would, knew I could. Everyone who told me I couldn't/wouldn't could talk to my hand! Heh, Heh, Heh... I never told anyone that, but I did tell a few people to "watch me!". Dang... my own inner voice was hard enough to overcome. I don't need doubters from the peanut gallery. Especially the low-fat crowd. I know, I was one of them before!
Luckily, for me, after reading Refuse to Regain by Barbara Berkeley, MD AND reading more about a "Primarian" style of diet (no grains, no starchy S foods), I had a clear plan to try. Take what I need, and move along.
If I could wave a magic wand and do 3 things about my past attempts at weight maintenance they would be:
1. Remove wheat and grains sooner. Who needs a hs-CRP of 6.8 and joint pain so bad to stop that stuff ? Me, I guess. It happened. It hurt physically and emotionally. Glad that stuff is in the past. (normal is <3, less than 1 is where I am now!)
2. Remove processed sugar and processed foods. The moderation theory was no good for me. Major, major re-gains and self loathing and emotional eating. Ugh. More knocking into walls and falling over. Glad that stuff is in the past.
3. Add in good fats... I was so afraid of avocados, olive oil, grass-fed beef, bison, salmon, etc. I blogged about being afraid of avocados here.
Note: * I'm dairy free so butter and ghee is not on my list. Nuts weren't the right thing either. Boom, there you go! Customized temple. Probably has something to do with being post-auto immune thyroid. It's all good!
I feel so, so much better with some protein, fat, and carbohydrates (from non-starchy veggies). PFC as Dietitian Cassie would say. Continued great health, muscle strength, absence of joint pain, hs-CRP = 0.4, low triglyercides, lower HA1c, very few menopause symptoms. Feeling 27 instead of 47. Whoa! I never would have guessed it.
Feeling full after eating full fat items no doubt helped me to stop the emotional/binge eating. I have NO DOUBT. It's not 100%. I still have to navigate binge brain. Cannot wave the magic wand and make that go away for my life. But I can choose remission between lapses as long as possible. I'll take that.
Swapping out grains and proceessed sugar carbs for veggie carbs, fat avocados, olive oil, grass-fed beef, bison = a better way to maintain for me. Everyone is different. Customizing your food template is key- IMO.
Luckily for me weight maintenance = great health = no sugars +no grains (yo! #NSNG) = end of a whole lot of searching. Whew! One more week and it will be 2 years in weight maintenance. Longest. Time. Ever.