Friday, January 10, 2014
Introducing: No Grains, No Gains! Keeping weight off in a grain obsessed world- Jan 2014
A group a of Primal/Paleo/Grain free women who blog about their experiences/life/benefits without grains. It’s a great way for others (who may be wanting to lose weight, reverse an acute/chronic health trend, and/or transition from commercial weight loss programs) to read about real life women who are living the life and succeeding!
I find there is a lot of fear, misunderstanding, and a lot of general questions about eating grain free. I'm telling my story along with 4 of my other blog friends from around the world. ( links at the end of this post). Being grain free is just one part of weight maintenance. By sharing our stories, I hope that others may learn more about the benefits we have each found. We are stronger together.
1. Introductions: Hello: I'm Karen P. and I've been using a Paleo-ish food template to maintain 68-70 pounds over almost 2 years. I transitioned from commercial weight loss plan(s) where I lost my weight, to a Paleo-ish continued weight maintenance. My main goal was to maintain my weight loss, and I found many more health benefits from becoming grain free.
I'm 47 years old, 5'1", I weigh between 113-118 pounds since Feb 2012. During the first year of weight maintenance, I went completely through menopause! with few symptoms during my first year of weight maintenance. I also had auto-immune thyroid disease in 1997, and struggled with emotional eating, and yo-yo dieting my whole life, about 40 years. I was overweight as a kid in the 1970's, then on and off again between the 1980's until now. I consider myself in long term remission from emotional/binge eating since June of 2013.
I'm a single parent, head of household. I work in health care. I earn my money, and buy my pastured bacon ,and fry it up in a pan.... for my daughter. LOL! I have a pork sensitivity so I don't eat much bacon. I do most of my cooking at home.
Read and listen to my story
2. Why I went Paleo/Primal/Grain free: I went grain free so I could finally find permanent weight loss. I had read in the book "Refuse to Regain" by Barbara Berkeley, MD. I was on a mission to make my 3rd weight maintenance try a success. When I read about a "Primarian" diet, it sounded great. I already knew I was lactose intolerant. When I checked around for more reading, I found Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution". The anti-inflammatory message really hit home for me. I went to an Everyday Paleo seminar in Feb 2012 with Sarah Fragoso and Jason Seib.
3. How long I've been eating this way:
1. July 2011: Gluten free
2. June 2012: Diet Soda free
3. Jan 2013: Dairy free and grain free (I stopped eating food supplement bars)
4. Feb 2013: Grain free
4. May 2013: Nut free
4. I removed different food items for health reasons, as a slow progression to the new normal. Having thyroid disease in the past was a big factor for me removing gluten,dairy and nuts. Not only does it keep my weight stable, I'm in great health and I feel better emotionally. Normal weight, lower blood pressure, hs-CRP went from 6.8 to 0.4, better lipid panel, better sleep and very few menopause symptoms. One stop shopping!
Read Gwen, Jeanette, Leigh, and Lynda's introductions and their health benefits being grain free. We'll back once a month to blog on the same topic. We are stronger together! Feel free to share our stories with friends and family who may also benefit from the grain free life. Customizing the grain free life is one of the best advantages.
Reading about real life people and real life health benefits is awesome! It's time we told our stories so that more people can learn and change their health.
Gwen S http://www.skynsurf.com/
Jeannette C http://wolfforlife.blogspot.com/
Leigh C http://poonapalooza.blogspot.com/
Lynda S http://achangeoflife.blogspot.com/
Karen P http://gardengirlkp.blogspot.com/