I'm getting better and better satiety signals. Whoooo, hooo!!!!! I've gone 45+ years without them, so I'm done getting mad when I do get them (why, why now? What the heck??)
The likely root cause: That extra ghrelin gene expression I've had since the age of 6, coming out to play. Ghrelin is a hunger hormone. This SNP is one of many, so it does not act alone.
So why, why after all these years? Who knows. But I did stumble upon some very small food changes, along with early time restricted eating 18:6, or 17:7 or 16:8 work out great for me.
The food changes are these
1. Prioritizing Red Meat
Yep! Ribeye, ground beef, beef ribs, top round (leaner), chuck roast are all my favorites. I feel so young and good and thin when I eat meat. #meatheals Indeed. I'm not carnivore, however red meat is super great for my mood, my attitude, how I feel health wise, and for my gym strength.
For me, red meat is essential to health, wellness, and weight maintenance.
2. Prioritizing meat off the bone- chicken thighs, drumsticks and sometimes wings, along with bone in ribeye, beef ribs
Thank goodness for the air fryer. I've become an expert on cooking bone in, skin on chicken thighs.
3. Animal Fat for cooking at higher temps I still use olive oil for dressings, but for cooking high heats- stir fry, getting a good sear on meat, etc
- rendering extra fat from cooking ribeye (I cut off the extra if there is a nice fat cap)
- grabbing the chicken fat from cooking thighs in the air fryer
- or pouring off lard from occasional baccon (I don't eat much but prefer lard in some meals)
DON'T worry, I'm not butter chugging here, just normal amounts for cooking
4. Adequate plants- the ones that I know don't jack up my glucose or gut. Too many veggies and my colon is wrecked. Pain, bathroom troubles. bad stuff. Too few and I get weird GI stuff.
Veggies, Cooked or raw, but some volume with the meat seems to help with my hungry or full signaling, so volume. Big assett salads work for me, too.
Sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm still at 27-50 grams total of carbs per day.
- Kale, cabbage, broccoli, broccoli slaw, Brussels Sprouts
- Carrots, Red bell peppers, onions, garlic
- Occasional jicama, beets, lemon slices, lime slices
|Beef Brisket, spring mix, broccoli, peppers, cabbage, beets|
Onward and keep doing what works. I'm 99% Neanderthal in my 23 and Me. Not too hard to imagine #meatheals for me.
Glad to be rocking the heck out of my n=1. Here's to making your own best weight maintenance.
What didn't work in the past
0. I ate constantly- morning, noon, afternoon, evening, bedtime. Food addiction SUCKS!
1. Being afraid of red meat because I thought it would give me cancer- not true for me
2. Only eating non meat subs- like tofu. Oh, I felt terrible after I ate these.
3. Pretty sure that lard was going to clog up my arteries. Had I looked at my hs-CRP of 6.8 I would have figured out it was all those low fat, heart healthy grains that put me at risk. Sigh.
4. Not taking my glucose after eating potatoes, rice, and other starchy foods that put me at risk for type 2 diabetes. Measuring glucose 2 hrs post was super key for me not being a diabetic.