Sunday, August 20, 2017

Low Carb USA 2017, San Diego - Part 1, Favorite things

Where to start? So many good things from Low Carb USA 2017. Part 1 is a general overview.
Part 2 will be key take aways for myself and info I'd love for others to take away into the future.

Karen Parrott,-that's me at Low Carb USA 2017


Wyndham Bayside, San Diego, CA Low Carb USA- awesome location


Dr. Georgia Eade and Keto application potentials in Alzheimers, treats college students

Me getting Robb Wolf to sign his books! Fan Girl! Accessibility of luminaries
Star of India was just across the street from Low Carb USA- break time fun

Carnitas Snack Shack with Friends- eat low carb and chat with your buddies 


For new readers to my blog, I'm a weight maintenance blogger who was overweight and obese ages 6-46. I yo-yo dieted for 40 years. I'm currently age 51 and in menopause. I'm currently normal weight.

Weight Maintenance is my focus. Because my fat would like to come back! I won't let it.

 I'm normal weight for the last 5.5 years.  I stopped just shy of a pre-diabetes diagnosis in 2011. I'm post Auto-Immune Thyroid Hashimoto's since 1997.  I'm a Medical Technologist, MT (ASCP), CLS in real life. I heart lab data and the applied science of weight maintenance. There's a long way to go in the actual art and science of weight maintenance. I'm happy to be part of it.

Low Carb and Keto living are my TOP food template tools, along with Intermittent Fasting in weight maintenance. I've gone 20 years without a new auto-immune diagnosis. I have a bunch of FTO/Obesity/Type 2 genes that I consider to have  put into remission via Low Carb and sometimes Keto. WINNING.

Anyhoo- back to my Low Carb USA 2017 favorites

Some of my favorite speakers:  AKA- Karen's Circle of Trust
Link to the 2017 topic line up:
Speakers:
Robb Wolf,
Dr. Sarah Hallberg,
Dr. Stephen Phinney, Dr. Jeff Volek, 
Dr. Eric Westman 
Garry Taubes
Franzika Spritzler
Dr. Jeffery Gerber
Ivor Cummings
Peter Ballersteadt

Dr. Georgia Eade,
Dave Feldman,

Didn't speak but maybe next year!
Nicole Racine, RN

Other attendees: Type 2 diabetes folks in remission or newly diagnosed were the most common, therapeutic Keto for certain cancers and cancer survivors who are doing well- Like Allison Gannet. There was an APOE4 group meeting there, so  cholesterol and Alzheimer's disease were huge topic. I ate lunch with two zero carb carnivores- (One of them was Amber O'Hearn) and learned a lot about zero carb. I was struck by how happy and healthy they both were.

I secretly channel my inner Amber O'Hearn  and Peter Ballerstedt (Grass Based Health- Ruminati when I buy lots of red meat on sale. I feel so much better when I eat red meat over other protein. I still rotate, but I make sure to eat red meat frequently. My body rewards me. It has to be a nutrient thing.

Great old friends from last year, new friends from this year. People watching... The Keto Geeks were there, the Keto Gains group was there, side conversations in the lobbies and hallways.  A meat up person, also named Karen, from the 2 Keto Dudes forum. Awesome people. Really.

Several people that I recognized from last year and one said "Oh, I read your blog...."  OMG. How awesome is that!? People read my blog.... cool and WOW. Sometimes I feel Almost Paleo Famous" Just kidding.....

Almost Paleo Famous!





















Vendors: My favorite

  • Keto Mojo (relatively inexpensive glucose, hemoglobin, hematocrit, and ketones) blood meter
  • Heads Up Health (Health Data collection - I was in the beta group!

Interviews: Whoa!!! I started the conference out with Carole Freeman from Keto Carole  1.5 hours - it was me, another nice guy who had lost 120+ pounds and uses a Keto Vegan from India and Carol's  MeVo's video cam and iPad.  Oooh, Great interview, I learned how a MeVo camera works, and I got to gaze for a long time at the bay scene outside the conference room.

A small group of folks joined us and we had a nice interview then Q&A from the audience. I'll update with a link if the video is posted publicly. Sharing our stories are key for others to customize their own weight maintenance approach.


Next up- Part 2, key take aways from the conference.  San Deigo sure is a great place to have a conference. Kudos to Doug Reynolds and Pam Devine for another great year. 2018 Low Carb USA is at the same hotel, July 26-29, 2018  Click on the link to see the speaker schedule.

What other conferences have you attended and taken away a lot? Talking to other  successful folks really is powerful.


6 comments:

  1. That all sounds fantastic! I would have really enjoyed it for sure. I've been to a few here in New Zealand and we learned a lot then. While I'm not so fanatic now (well as I was back when we started) we are still low carb and for me, it's the only way. I'm glad you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda! It's really fun to go to the conferences and chat with everyone. Low Carb has so many applications.

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen, it looks and sounds fantastic.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, it was so fun to hang with the LCHF crowd. The conversations in the hallways were as good as the lectures. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a blast. Great to meet with like-minded individuals.

    ReplyDelete