|This cactus grew in a tough spot!|
This was a huge concept for me. I had fallen into the conventional wisdom trap of believing that "every thing in moderation" would work. I figured could happily grab a "snack sized highly processed" food item and be OK. Snack wells, 100 calorie packs, and mini-snack bites just are not the kinds of foods I can eat and maintain my weight. I don't touch that stuff now.
What worked for me
- Eating within a structured plan, predetermined items. Made the break cold turkey, not bit by bit.
- Eating every so many hours, most of the time. My hunger does not always speak the truth.
- Eating a medium sized meal, most of the time. My full button is broken and always will be.
- Eating only foods that do not cause me to want to eat continuously. Some foods trigger me.
What did not work for me
- Eliminating food items in baby steps ( I needed a whole new normal, all at once)
- Eating when I felt hungry ( I can feel hungry for about 5 different non-food reasons)
- Eating until I'm full and no more. (again my full button is broken)
- Eating trigger foods, even a little bit.( I still encounter a trigger food from time to time, easy to tell, and I can eliminate that food from my choices)