|Use the weight maintenance force, 2016|
What didn't work for me in the past: I used to use the time from Halloween to Jan 1 to eat whatever the heck I wanted and then I took 6 whole weeks off until Valentines Day to start up again. I chose sugar highs and salt endorphin rushes.
Sugar, salt( think chips/popcorn tins) and moderation eating were my DOPE.
There's no food photos in this post, you are welcome!
Sweaters and winter coats did not hide morbid obesity. But, I was too busy getting sugar high to care. It was sweater season and I
Not only was I sick much of the time and hiding and buying the next highest clothing size, I also fooled no one.
I was slowly killing myself by my own hand with food. It wasn't totally my fault- hey, my WW meeting just told me I could eat anything I wanted. Moderation of all foods. That doesn't work well for food addicts. I had to take responsibility for my own actions.
|Can't hide in big clothes|
Luckily, this year, Barbara Berkeley, MD has two blog posts on holiday eating strategies.
If you are a weight maintainer, you know how hard in many cases the holidays can be, food addiction or not. Even seasoned weight maintainers like me. Even 6 years food sober, it's a lot of work.
First the Refuse to Regain Blog posts for 2016 are here:
Holiday Tips 2016
Holiday Parties and waking up the same weight the next day
|2016, no need to hide|
6 years food sober, here are my own ways of dealing
Family Meals and Pot Lucks ( in Indiana we called them Pitch-In's- who's with me on that? :) )
- Bring foods like Nom Nom Paleo's Mexican Beef- because holy heck it's good.
- Grab a bag of oranges or avocados from the Farmer's Market
- Grab items that are in season- root veggies and roast them up
- Bring a prepared meal if I cannot or do not have time to bring something.
- Get a menu before hand. Pick something out OR
- Eat before I go and order a coffee and visit.
- I let the server know I'm on a medically required orders and I'll tip like I ordered.
- Don't cave and eat the SAD or eat to people please, they will get over it, trust me.
- Keep my fasting, Keto, LCHF, Paleo food template.
Food brought to your house, after the party:
- Trash it after the event if it's sugary or junk food. Nobody needs that.
- Place it in the freezer or on a pantry shelf where I do not go, but other family members can eat it later
- Don't moderate foods that take me away from food sobriety. Food addiction is painful.
- Continue cooking and batch cooking on your food template during the holidays
- Staying food sober means 365/24/7. So, cook at home like a ninja. My food sober living depends on my habits. So I act like it.
- Make meals I can bring with me and either heat up or eat refrigerated.
I am always pleased when I hold my ground and after a year or two, some people will have the light bulb turn on and will learn from their trainers, another person or co-workers that yes, they need to pull away from the SAD and stop eating themselves to death or very painful and avoidable diseases. Yay!!!!
On the other hand, lots of people will eat themselves to death or dismemberment with diabetes. Painful. I know.
Here's to adopting food strategies and eating that keeps you well all year. Safe Travels. How do you deal with the holidays?