|May 2011 to Aug 2016 , Long Term Weight Maintenance|
Goal Range 115-125 lbs
Current Weight 123.0 lbs
Keeping off 64.4 lbs
Time in long term weight maintenance
4 years, 6 months
Menopause 3 years
Auto-Immune Hashimotos 1997
Food Addict in Recovery: 5th year
Menopause 3 years
Glucose ave 30 days = 77 (fasting and 2 hr post)
Current food templates:
Low Carb High natural fat (LCHF)
modified AIP, (no dairy, no nuts)
Ketosis- mild, sometimes
Restricted eating window = 9 hrs
IF for 15 hrs
3 meals per day
N= 1 self experiments
IRB Study for the Salk Institute, week 4 of 14
My Circadian Clock (restricted feeding window)
Mini no sugar bacon experiment, you can guess what happened
Walking 13,000-14,000 steps per day
Weight lifting 2 days per week
Sprints on the rowing machine 1 days per week
Here's what's working so far
1. N = 1 Restricted feeding window 9-10 hours via the My Circadian Clock study seems to be working great for me. I'm down 1-2 pounds and I seem to be sustaining the loss.
2. Mindset : I've learned not to get overly happy or sad on the actual number on the scale and look at trends.
Looking at this from a graph helps me overall. There's no sense in getting overly happy or sad in long term weight maintenance.
I'm proud that I did not let me get me- aka give up or give in during the gaining part of weight maintenance.
It is what it is.
It's likely normal to have a weight range to maintain, especially in menopause.
3. N=1, food OMG. I did a "mini" no sugar bacon experiment. More later on this....
You can guess, I can't have pork, but I did determine that the sugar used in curing bacon is a very BIG binge trigger for me.
If I eat conventionally cured bacon, I can kick up fierce binge urges.
If I eat magic Paleo/ Whole 9 "approved" bacon- AKA zero sugar, I don't get binge urges, but I do get bloated and not so great feeling.
The upshot is that pork, even awesome prepared is just not for me, 99% of the time.
That's okay. I'm over it and I don't have to buy expensive pork.
It's funny that I can not get triggered on a small amount of sugar in chocolate 85% or higher, but one slice of bacon cured with sugar has me wanting to think about places I might have hidden food 5 + years ago, WHUT the WHAT??? Yikes. Going back to food seeking scares me a bit.
I'm done with Food Addiction. The disease lives with me forever, but It's up to me to live in remission. Bye bye sugar cured bacon. I'm done being bloated too, so it's bye bye pork.
N=1 self experimentation is awesome. It's free and it really unlocked a lot of good health for me. Still to this day.
It's hard to know how the restricted feeding window (9-10 hrs) is effecting my sleep. The heat in So.Cal is better this week, but I do think not having air conditioning at home is a factor. I'll be able to better assess over the next month or so, if we have cooler conditions.
I love living near the coast, so I keep a positive mind frame.
What didn't work in the past
1. Eating all the TIME!!! I couldn't sort out my Food Addiction with true hunger so I ate once every 2 hours or so. I never gave myself a metabolic break. Sigh...
2.Mindset: I got happy, happy, happy over a 1-5 pound loss... oh, I'll celebrate with a Skinny Cow ice cream WITH 1 point of M&M's. You might guess how that kicked up the ghrelin and reversed any loss I might have seen.
3. I ate all the foods. Moderation was what I was told that I had to do or I would binge!!!!! WHUT!!??? Moderation induced my binges....
4. Sleep, I thought I could go to bed at 11pm, get up at 5am and "catch up" on the weekends.
There will be graphs....