Despite my best efforts, I do believe that menopause is taking its toll on me. Finally.
I'll be working with my doc on any other root causes over the next few months. Overall, I'm feeling good, but a little thicker or heavier, curvier. I suspect my diagnosis will be
One thing I'm really proud of, I never once sat down and played the pity card, the poor me victim card.
I didn't sit down and say, oh what the heck, I'll just go make some Paleo treats or go to Whole Foods and buy all sorts of Low Carb junk food. Hey, Lara Bars... I've missed you.... And honey, well that's paleo....LOL. Slip sliding down that slippery slope could be easy.
I never once opened the door to binge eating or starting to repeat the old patterns.
It's been a super great lesson for me. I suspect my weight will fluctuate from the mid 120's to the mid 115-117 as I age. It is what it is. I do seem to feel better over all below 120. Time will tell.
Just proud of myself for not spinning out control. Getting of the yo-yo binge eating cycle demands walking away from the metal self talk that likes to drag you back to the pit that food addiction is. Glad I am keeping my eyes wide open, my food template on plan, and can operate on a more functional thought pattern.
Although it's easy to get comfortable at the lower weight, my 120's still has me answering yes to these questions from Dr. Berkeley's What Should I Weigh? How to set a Goal Weight article from last year. I can answer yes. I don't want to weigh more than I should, but I also have to not operate in such a tight range that I start in with the old self-talk.
Not letting me get me is probably the biggest gift that I can give myself as I get ready to switch into my 50's. Glad I stopped repeating those cycles.
What's working now
1. Weighing in and tracking the data
2. Keeping a food template that keeps my glucose mid- 80's and below, fasting and 2 hrs post.
3. Keeping self talk in check.
4. Working with my doc to make sure there are no other root medical causes.
What didn't work in the past
1. Hardly ever weighing in and finding I had gained 20-30 pounds when I finally did weigh in
2. Watching my fasting glucose get higher and higher each year and not removing sugar/high carb foods.
3. Telling myself I deserved a Skinny Cow ice cream, half a bag of candy on frozen yogurt. Because- it fit my WW points.
4. I would avoid the doctor and only go when I had to go, because I wanted to binge eat some more.
It is what it is. I'll be adding kettle bells to my exercise routine soon, so it will be interesting to see how my body changes over time. Adding in more strength can only be good as I age. Onward.